Wednesday 28 September 2011

A slave's conversation with his Master

My Master and I had a conversation today about his order to me to protect his property. I really needed his guidance on the subject as I was confused. The good obedient boy in me was in conflict. On the one hand I would not hesitate to follow my master’s orders and I would protect his property with my life. I am the very definition of slave, his property, so therefore I am obliged to protect myself. Now this in itself was not a dilemma to me. My dilemma was what if it is a free that is trying to take my master’s property, i.e. me, do I protect myself?

This was our conversation:
River: my master I need your guidance
Franziskus Ninetails: for what, my lil sunshine?
River: you ordered me to protect myself against being stolen
Franziskus Ninetails nods
River: what if it is a free man that tries to take me: do I still try to protect your property
Franziskus Ninetails: aye
River: I wasn't sure if I would be killed for attacking a free
Franziskus Ninetails: what if he would tell you to open the doors for him?
River: I would refuse my master
Franziskus Ninetails: well, you shouldn't attack him FIRST
River: of course not my master
Franziskus Ninetails: but don't allow him godmodding
River: nods
Franziskus Ninetails: there are several ways to react to godmodding
Franziskus Ninetails: either you correct him IC... like.... example
Franziskus Ninetails grabs the slave's collar with one hand and slaps his face with the other hand
Franziskus Ninetails: then you react
Franziskus Ninetails ducks under the Master's hand as he TRIES to grab his collar; the Master's other hand that slammed down to slap his face, missing him only for some inches
River: nods: I understand I think
Franziskus Ninetails: another option is to answer godmodding with exaggerated godmodding
Franziskus Ninetails: like....
Franziskus Ninetails:  as the Master grabbed his collar and slapped his face, bites in the slapping hand... ripping out a big hunk of meat from the master's hand, then lifts his knee to punch it into the master's balls and smash them to mush, until the Free lies on the floor, rolling around in cramps of pain and whining like a woman
Franziskus Ninetails: that would teach him to godmod
Franziskus Ninetails: or - probably the most-efficient way - tell him OOC to stop godmodding
River: giggles: my master, would grabbing my collar and slapping my face be godmodding
Franziskus Ninetails: yes: it would be: unless you are tied and can't move; then not
River: I see I think
Franziskus Ninetails: especially the slapping into the face
River: but most free grab a slave by his collar
Franziskus Ninetails: but where's the difference if someone slaps into your face or sticks a dagger in your heart?
River: I think I understand my master: so this boy is to protect his master's property against free as well as slave
Franziskus Ninetails: Did you ever observe my emotes?
Franziskus Ninetails: normally I emote to "reach out my hand to...."
River: I see
Franziskus Ninetails: always giving the other the chance to react
River: I understand: you give us a chance to duck away
Franziskus Ninetails: aye
River: it is up to me if I say "feels himself yanked forward as the master grabs his collar
Franziskus Ninetails: well, my own boys I sometimes just snap a leash into your collar, when I'm a bit in a hurry. But even with you I often emote that I reach out for your collar... giving you the chance to lift your head to expose the collar to me
River: or 'steps back avoiding the master's hand, and moves out of his reach."
Franziskus Ninetails: hmmm, let me search something....
Franziskus Ninetails: hmmm, I don't find it
Franziskus Ninetails: I am searching the scene, where the slave girl was raped by boys from the village
River: oh I remember that I think. Was it in slave girl or kajira?
Franziskus Ninetails: slave girl
Franziskus Ninetails: I found it
Franziskus Ninetails: well, she tried to ran away, but was caught
River: nods
Franziskus Ninetails: however... what's very important scene is this one.....
River nods: I do remember it
Franziskus Ninetails: “We took her without your permission,” said Bran Loort.
In this,” said Thurnus, “you have committed a breach of code.”
It does not matter to me,” said Bran Loort.
Neither a plow, nor a bosk, nor a girl may one man take from another, saving with the owner’s saying of it,” quoted Thurnus.
I do not care,” said Bran Loort.
What is it, Bran Loort, that separates men from sleen and larls?” asked Thurnus.
I do not know,” said Bran Loort.
It is the codes,” said Thurnus.
The codes are meaningless noises, taught to boys,” said Bran Loort.
The codes are the wall,” said Thurnus.
I do not understand,” said Bran Loort.
It is the codes which separate men from sleen and larls,” said Thurnus. “They are the difference. They are the wall.”
I do not understand,” said Bran Loort.
You have left the shelter of the wall, Bran Loort,” said Thurnus.
Do you threaten me, Thurnus of Tabuk’s Ford?” asked Bran Loort.
You stand now outside the shelter of the wall,” said Thurnus.
I do not fear you!” cried Bran Loort.
Had you asked of me my permission, Bran Loort,” said ‘Thurnus, indicating me with a gesture of his head, “willingly and without thought, gladly, would I have given you temporary master rights over her.”
I lay in the dirt, my hands bound behind my back, the rope on my neck, watching. It was true what Thurnus had said. I could have been loaned to Bran Loort, and would have had to serve him as though he were my own master.
But you did not ask my permission,” said Thurnus.
No,” said Bran Loort, angrily, “I did not.”
Before, too, you have done such things, you, and these others, though not to the degree nor with the intent of this day.”
River: he stole really from the master
Franziskus Ninetails: it's an important scene because it shows - what so many do and think wrongly - that even a red silk slave is not free for EVERYONE's use I underline and bold this because it is a very important point that my master makes.
River: nods
Franziskus Ninetails: the slave is still property of a man. And you wouldn't use another man's slave without his permission like you wouldn't use his plough or milk his bosk or whatever
River: nods
Franziskus Ninetails: so, an honourable man wouldn't do it anyways: at least none of the own village
River: nods: I understand my master
Franziskus Ninetails: an outlaw would try it. But then again: An outlaw doesn't have any rights. If you attack him or even kill him, to whom should he complain, as he's not under the protection of any justice?

I am sure that my master  will not mind me sharing this conversation.
 I think it is important that a Master converse with his slave in such a way. Though a slave is no more than his or her Master’s property they are still intelligent animals and should be stimulated as such. My Master clarified the situation for me and guided me as a good Master should. He never spoke down to me or belittled me for my lack of understanding but gave me a clear indication of what he expected of me.
 This is why my chain brother, Endy and I love him so much and strive each and every day to make him proud. 

A devoted slave with his beloved Master




1 comment:

  1. *Smiles at the last sentence* I know that feeling so well, brother

    ReplyDelete